Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I am thankful. part 3.

I am thankful for my parents.

I have been blessed with wonderful parents. I  have uniquely different relationships with both of my parents and yet both have been vital. I can see how much I needed both examples to become the person I am today.

From my Dad I learned determination, generosity, to always have a plan B, the importance of an education, and to believe in and then work for the impossible.
From my mom I learned Christlike love, kindness, compassion, charity, work, and selflessness.

There have been times in my life when I felt a need to stand beside my husband at the expense of losing the close relationship with my parents I had always enjoyed. I remember the heart ache this caused me and the unsettling feelings that I had. I recall the arguments about "loyalty" and I remember how none of it felt right to me. But I didn't know what else to do. I desperately wanted to save my marriage.

Since my divorce, I reflect often on how quickly my parents reached out to me. How quick they were to love me and support me and forgive me for the time that had passed with little contact. I know I caused them hurt. I can only imagine the sadness they must have felt to see me pulling away my family from them when they had done so much to offer love and support to my entire family for a very long time.  My life and my children's lives are definitely blessed by their influence.

I have always felt grateful for my parents. However, the past several years have given me an even greater appreciation for the gift of my good parents in my life. I could list a million reasons illustrating all the little things they do on a daily basis for me or my children. But what it really boils down to is this: my parents love unconditionally, selflessly support, and sincerely forgive. How blessed I am.



1 comment:

*Jess* said...

I have fond memories of your parents, too, and know how lucky you are :)