Sunday, March 2, 2008

incision pictures.

Many people have been interested in josh's incision. The kidney is removed through a surgery known as hand assisted laparoscopic surgery. most all the work is done through small holes in which the laparoscopes are inserted. the surgeon's hand goes in at the end through a fairly small incision near the belly button to remove it. pretty amazing. he is not experiencing much incision pain, just soreness mainly. his main discomfort and pain continues to be from the large amount of gas still trapped in his belly - it sticks out so much and almost comes to a point. i guess the technical term is "distended". every time he moves the gas pains shoot to his shoulders and other places and cause very sharp pain. the doctors said that just takes time, probably a few more days. He also continues to be on a liquid diet until his bowels wake up. there is a phenomenon that when your bowels are touched during a surgery they go to sleep. the more they are handled and moved around the longer it can take for them to wake up. his were touched a fair amount, so it could still be another day or so.


3 comments:

Maryann said...

I am so glad everyone is home and doing well. I have been thinking about your family. If you need anything we are back in Idaho on Tuesday so let me know.

sydney said...

I can relate to Josh's gas pain. When I had my c-section, I had the WORST pains in my shoulders and chest (and abdomen)! I don't remember how long it took to dissipate, but thankfully it is just temporary. You can see how people with severe GI problems can pass out from the pain.
So glad you are home and well! Love the updates! Sydney

Stephanie said...

Oh man...no more bikinis for Josh!! I hope everything "wakes up" soon and he has some relief. We are thinking of you!