Baseball.
Baseball is always a big part of our early summer. Justin's season was April, May and June. 20 games. Mitchel's was just all of June. 12 games. It is busy and often a hassle (with Coleman) but I really enjoy it.


Library.
We enjoy going to the library. Or maybe I should say the kids like going to the library! I feel it is important. I like getting new books to read to them. My friend Maryann and her little girl Kimberlee go with us and that is fun. But sometimes it gets me on edge. Coleman does not seem to know what whisper means. he is loud and is often running from the books to the fish pond. Justin is indecisive and needs my approval for every book he thinks about getting. Mitchel never knows what he wants to get and trying to get him to select a chapter book he thinks he could maybe sorta kind of enjoy is painfully slow. He prefers to read nonfiction, but needs some comprehension skills that come through following a story through a chapter book. He is a plenty capable reader, just doesn't love it. Ashley is quick to find books and has a knack for finding books about dogs and ponies and cats. She has even been able to select a few easy readers that she likes so we can practice our reading each week with new books. Thank goodness she doesn't make the task more difficult. I am grateful for that. The library here is nice. It is big and spacious, the fish pond is cool. Having church books for check out is fun. There are lots of computers for the children to play games on. But I miss my Sioux Falls library. The Caille branch. 4 miles from my house. Toddler room for Coleman. More books. Less crowded.
Park
We have been trying to go the park at least once a week. We have gone to different ones in town. Most are fairly old and leave me longing for my Sioux Falls parks. There is one new park that is actually really awesome, I just need to figure out when it is not crowded. Justin and Mitchel are also starting to grow out of this and have a hard time finding much fun in it. The little two on the other hand love it. Last time the boys took their bikes and rode the bike paths at the park. They enjoyed this, but only for a short time. Their favorite thing to do it play tag on the playgrounds, but I don't allow this b/c its slightly dangerous when other kids are on the playground. It is still nice to get out and they still say they want to go. I just see slight boredom in their eyes after a bit.
a little follow the leader

my favorite park-goers

the new playground

Coleman loves to climb. I'm trying not to panic for fear he'll slip through the huge gaps!

Coleman's favorite fishy


Coleman and his friend Kimberlee sitting on the very cool spongy park floor

Mitchel and the out of control spinning thingy. I thought Coleman was going to fall off he was so dizzy afterwards.

The park has a cool music making section - you should have heard the tunes my talented kids were playing. hehe.


Slip N Sliding. With Friends.
Coleman had a ball. He had a really hard time waiting his turn. He was often skipping to the front of the line.

some of Justin's freestyle moves.

Mitchel and Sadie race down the slides (that looked much longer on the box)

Ashley and Emmaline - judges for the freestyle competition.

an otter pop or two or three always tastes so good.

Lemonade stands.
The kids always want to do a lemonade stand. For some reason I always think it is the biggest hassle. It really is not. It entertains the kids for the entire day. They get along while they do it. They learn numerous skills. Patience, work, and basic math, just to name a few. And I occasionally have to help refill the cooler with lemonade and ice. We definitely have the prime location in the neighborhood. We are the first driveway as you enter the neighborhood, but we are not on the corner of the busy road. There are 2 other houses but their driveways are not on the main road into the neighborhood. So, pretty much everyone coming and going passes the driveway. Not to mention our driveway is really long, so they have room to set up shop without being in the road. They loved every minute of it. I couldn't believe the kindness of all our neighbors. The kids finished of the day with $31 in profits. And that is at 25 cents a cup. Lots of people did give $1. The kids were thrilled. And I learned I needn't be so unenthusiastic for them when they want to do it next time.


Playdough.
There is just something fun about homemade playdough. The kids love making it. I let them each help make their own batch and pick the color they want. Not to mention this stuff has a great texture and remains soft for a really long time. Its a fave around here.


Shaved Ice.
in the backyard. mmm mmm good.

Baptism.
A definite highlight for our family was Mitchel's baptism. It was fun to have so much family attend. Another one of those blessings of living out here. At the same time however, I thought of Jusitn's baptism and although all of our family couldn't attend, we had so much support from all of our friends in Sioux Falls who had become our family. I miss that.
Participating in Mitchel's baptism was such a reminder to me of the blessing the gospel is in our lives. The peace it brings is indescribable. I remember clearly the first time I recognized the promptings of the spirit. The first time I knew the church was true; it's teachings correct. I cannot imagine living without that knowledge. That peace that speaks to my soul. Where would I be without it? I long for my children to have those experiences. To feel the spirit testify to them that what we are teaching them is right. When they reach the age of baptism it is such a big step for them in this whole plan. I know you don't see it that way when you are 8, but as a parent you see it and feel it and wish they knew just how significant it was. Justin did come up to me after the baptism and say " I don't know why, but I was almost crying when Mitch was baptized. I couldn't help it." I tried to explain to him that he was feeling the spirit. That he was feeling that what he was witnessing was pleasing to Heavenly Father and was right. I love when I get these little teaching moments.

I will finally close this post with a few of my favorites from the month. Man I love these kids.



4 comments:
You guys are having an awesome summer! Go mom!! :) Your photos are wonderful!
i was beginning to wonder if your camera was broken :) thanks for catching us all up!
Loved your marathon post. Read every word. You are a wonderful mother and your kids are turning out so great. We really need to get together again soon. We have relatives with us all week, but I am calling your family up for a BBQ way soon. Our kids just got along too well...we have to get together every once in a while. Plus you two are great company. I do miss the Sioux Falls libraries and parks too. That is all we did there cause we were so broke. Oh, we did go to Lewis on special occasions.
Love it! Those are some great pictures and you are so good at writing. I love looking at your blog. I can't wait to see you next month!
Post a Comment